vrijdag 26 juni 2009

Day 2 Europeans, One windy race...

This morning when we came out of our cabin on the beautiful family camping site of the Husodde Strand camping we already noticed it was a bit more windy then the previous day. Arriving at the yacht club we could see already the white on top of the waves.
The forecast was that the wind would drop in the afternoon. So scheduled start of 10 in the morning was postponed. So we had to wait. For me it is still interesting to see how people can get in to intense debate regarding the technicalities of wand, mast and other systems. As I have a big passion for the thrill of foiling but I lack a bit of the deep engineering interest. Although it is nice to listen to all the ideas and think about it.
At 13:00 the committee decided that discussing and thinking time is over and that the race was going to start at 14:00. It was still very windy, however doable for people with experience with sailing a moth in wind.
Finally appr. 30 boats arrived at the start and appr. 14:30 the gun went off for the start.
After the first mark it was Arnaud, leading, then Simon, then myself closely followed by Jean-pierre and Mike Lennon.
Second upwind mark the order was the same, although I managed to gain a bit upwind. Second downwind Simon capsized and we rounded the bottom mark together. Which was interesting as we where close and doing appr. 24 knots (thanks to my velocitek). Last upwind went not so well and I rounded in 3rd, Arnaud still leading Simon. Towards the finish I overstood the downwind mark and while a reached towards the finish the boat abruptly stopped and I was flying. First I thought i must have broken something on the boat. The boat was OK when I reached it. So probably i hit a lump of seaweed. The capsize cost me one place and I finished 4th. All other races where postponed as the breeze was measured to be in the mid twenties and some time above. Tomorrow the last day and it is possible that 4 races will be sailed. So still anything is possible for everyone. Although Simon looks solid with 1,1,2,2 and Arnaud is matching him if counting a discard DNC, 2,1,1. Looking forward to great day, forecast is a little bit less wind. Hopefully for myself not too much less.....

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten