zondag 28 juni 2009

Europeans, happy with a podium place, 3rd overall

Just came home after a drive from Denmark. Whereby a few times the highway seemed more a giant parking spot as we encountered a few lengthy traffic jams. Happy to be home after enjoying a great week in Horsens as the weather was very good. Sunny and during the races enough wind! After the last race also the wind was directly gone, which must have been a sore sight for the more light wind oriented sailors.
I'm happy with my overall 3rd place, which I could manage thanks to the breeze and the help of a number of other sailors. As the swiss team helped me out with some necessary spare parts and the fellow members of the dutch-belgium team helped with technical expertise on preparing my boat. Respect and congratulations to Arnaud and Simon. They performed a perfect show of how close you can battle in a moth while doing speeds in excess of 24 knots. I was lucky enough to see their battle up close and some moments being in it. Compared with them my upwind speed was good, but I have lot to improve in boathandling and downwind speed. So enough todo when I have time to sail again.
The last day I had some great battles with Jean-pierre of Switserland, whereby in one race it was very close upto the finishing line. Racing in such a way, while literally flying over the water, is everything what i hoped for moth sailing could be.
Overall my standard bladerider VRX performed very well. Some people asked me what the difference between the VRX and my former X8 is. My experience is that the bigest difference I notice is that my standard VRX feels more solid and controllable in the windy conditions we had.

After the races there was a nice party, whereby the inevitable "tiller of death" beer drinking competition started. In Weymouth i managed as anonymous new comer to the class to avoid this "tiller". However this time I could not. My performance in the field of beer drinking contest was lousy, of which also my now beer stained last clean shirt is a silent testament.....

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten