dinsdag 17 augustus 2010

Starting

The races started today and there was no rain! So a decent breeze, not too strong and very patchy.
It was a joy to be able to sail 3 races with over 80 boats on a small lake. Where in the Netherlands there are only a few boats spread around the country here we have 80 flying sailing objects very close next to each other. Resulting in at least 3 collisions I know of. Luckily only damage to material and ego's.

The official press release gives a nice impression how it went on in at the front of the fleet.
As this time I had to witness also the top guys from a distance.
My strength is normally raw upwind speed, however the Moth being a development class shows that the developments moved on beyond my current material and that this speed advantage is no more and downwind even a big disadvantage to the more developed boats. Unfortunately I cannot blame my material for everything as I did three really bad starts. With 80 boats on a small lake it is very difficult to catch up after a bad start. From a tactics point of view it was also interesting as the were a lot of puffs and lulls and big shifts. Something i also have to get used to as it was a long time ago for me that I raced on a small lake. In the afternoon the wind was dying a bit and especially with my weight the call was to only tack when there was a gust. I made some good calls also downwind, then it is nice to see that you can overtake a boat who first overtook you on boatspeed due to having a more developed boat. Thanks to the bad calls I made i hopefully remember them to not make them anymore this week.
For the next coming races my goal will be to improve on the starting getting some good first line starts. Further to enjoy the racing with so many boats and ensure my skilllevel will be much improved by the end of the week.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten